Science Olympiad Programme
- Typically targeted at the brightest students, the programme focuses on Physical, Chemical and Biological Sciences and trains students to think creatively and critically in preparation of the Science Olympiad competitions.
- To help students hone their skills such in observing, comparing, classifying, communicating, analysing and conducting experiments independently.
- To help students acquire, refine, extend and apply scientific concepts in preparation for the Science Olympiad competitions including topics in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- To expose students to the Science Olympiad syllabus so they may continue to research and read up independently to prepare.
- To provide students with opportunities to explore and develop their higher-order thinking skills, creativity and personal-social competencies.
- To help students develop a set of good Science process skills and acquire a set of critical thinking skills.
- To help students analyse and evaluate tricky and challenging questions in preparation for Science Olympiad competitions.
- To help students become aware of their own learning styles, their strengths and weaknesses in learning.
Hands on experience - priceless!
Observation - can it really be true?
Conclusion - providing the 'aha' moments in learning
- We offer the following programmes to cater to the varying needs of students with our structured step-by step approach:
- Introductory Programme
Targeted at high ability students, this introductory programme serves to expose students to the basics of advance science topics through fun and hands-on activities. The aim is to cultivate interest in science topics beyond their syllabus and helps “breed” a suitable group of students suitable for Science Olympiad competitions. Students are challenged through the inquiry-based learning mode while expected to conduct science experiments in an independent but guided manner.
- Intensive Preparatory Programme
Targeted at a selected group of “crème de la crème” students with exceptional aptitude for science and who are preparing to enter the Science Olympiad competitions. This rigorous programme provides intensive training on the building blocks of advance science topics in Physics, Chemistry and Biology to help students level up to the Science Olympiad syllabus. Hands-on activities will also be included to help students conceptualise and build their confidence in conducting science experiments. A total of 24 modules are available to help prepare students appropriately.
- Most importantly, the programme is conducted by well-trained personnel in an engaging and interactive manner to help students gain exposure to the topics and challenges of Science Olympiad.
Different Olympiad Competitions
Singapore Primary Science Olympiad (SPSO)
The SPSO is an annual national competition organised by the NUS High School of Mathematics and Science since 2009. This competition, which is open to Primary 5 students in all primary schools in Singapore, will take place over two days and involves two rounds: the Theory and Practical Rounds. Both rounds are usually held in July, on a Saturday. Registration to participate in SPSO can be done only through the respective MOE primary schools. The top students from these rounds of SPSO will be shortlisted for a training programme conducted by NUS High School in preparation for International Mathematics & Science Olympiad (IMSO). The final squad, which consists of six official participants and two reserves, will be selected to form the Science team to represent Singapore in IMSO.
Raffles Science Olympiad
The Raffles Science Olympiad is an annual national competition organised by Raffles Institution. The competition is usually held in June. It is opened to all primary school students who have not enrolled in primary six level. The level of difficulty of the competition is pitched at primary five level. All participants have to be registered by their primary schools. No individual registration will be allowed.
After programme support
- Digital Photographs
- Feedback Report Analysis
For more information, please contact us.